As always, let’s kick off this update with a special thanks to the new patrons helping keep the game afloat! (Oh, and if you don’t want your name announced on an update such as this one, just let me know. I usually just abbreviate names to protect identities anyway, but I can completely omit if requested too).
I bring this up because I heard some drama from some other game over Twitter that I will not mention.
Anyway, thank you very much to the following people!
And now onto the update!
THE ENGINE IS FINALLY FINISHED!
The engine is finally finished.
Right now we’re working out the last of the bugs and adding some last minute features for quality-of-life but yeah, it looks really great. It’s responsive, fast and it’s complex but at the same time, I think anyone could pick it up and run with it.
It can be played on Linux/Mac/Windows/Iphone and Android and will auto-adjust to those platforms when opened on them.
Now onto a little story about this whole journey.
I’ll make it as brief as I can.
Truth be told, you guys haven’t exactly gotten the entire truth about this grueling process. This is mostly because I didn’t want to scare anyone, or put any doubt in the minds of the game’s followers. But I ended up having to “fire” the original programmer for the engine about two months ago. See, despite pushing him every couple of days to work on it, he was constantly busy with other projects and kept pushing back the delivery date of the engine. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much I could do about that as I had already paid him for it. This was the same guy who worked on the project for over a year and a half (basically since I announced I found a programmer for the game and was moving away from Quest).
The whole fiasco wasn’t really all his fault though. I didn’t know anything about game engines. I didn’t know how much I needed to pay him for it and he was fresh out of high-school and he essentially bit off more than he could chew. We both severely underestimated the process and made some mistakes along the way. Luckily, we decided to part on friendly terms. This meant the entire engine he created up to this point was scrapped (though to be honest there wasn’t much there anyway).
During these three months, I reached out to another programmer and he promised a two-month deadline depending on what I wanted or needed for the project; an an independant engine that I could use again and again, or a single game template that I could use once. After discussing everything that was in the original game ‘Apocamorphosis’ with him however, he was like, we better go with the engine. The far more complex option. And so he started it about a month and a half ago.
This ‘new’ engine I’ve been speaking of is literally a brand new iteration of it and a completely different engine than what was originally being made by the other programmer. But it’s finally done. The engine itself is usable and ready to go, and we have one more milestone left before the new programmer is completely finished with the project I hired him for.
The last piece is the front-end of the game; the player interface and menus. I showed you guys a GUI a while back….
which is being started next week. We estimate this will take about 2 weeks to get implemented and is much easier to create (and more fun) than an engine itself.
I also wanted to show off the general area map I made, although I’m not sure this will be the final or not because I’m not 100% happy with it (this works for the time being though)!
This will be the entire explorable first area (which can be technically bypassed at anytime, allowing the player to leave for the adventure with the caravan. You might remember that sequence from the opening of the first iteration of the game). But leaving will not be required and you can spend all the time you want in this area. There will be plenty of quests and adventures throughout.
This leads into the city proper.
Again, I’m not sure if this will remain the final map. But it works from a simplistic standpoint and will be crucial to not getting turned around or lost while you’re in the city walls. I’ve taken numerous precautions to prevent that from happening (don’t worry).
I know many of you have questions about the ‘character viewer’ and I ultimately decided a few days ago to take the approach of having ‘outfits’ rather than independant pieces of clothing (piercings, hairstyles and tattoos are not included in the ‘outfits’). The reason behind this is, I can only hide so much in the individual CGs I’ve been sketching for the game. I’ve used all the tricks too-but ultimately I think having many variations for several outfits is the better way to go until I can hand the art off to someone else. Once I can afford to do that, we’ll break the outfits into individual pieces again. Like hairstyles, I hope to provide many, many, many variations to what you can wear. And what you wear will affect the “Rumor System” I’m developing.
Just wanted to give a heads-up on that.
The New Milestones
Having met 90% of last months milestones; we have CG sketches of 3-4 boob jobs, 3-4 blow jobs, multiple stages of vampire or lycanthrop CGs, nipple affliction art work, 1 sketch of female on top sex and I finished the sketches for all three skill-tree tiers. I also finished several more NPC descriptions and building inside/outside descriptions for the East Side of Ajun. It’s about half-way done.
The goals for this month are:
-Finish as many NPC and building descriptions as possible for Ajun.
-3 more sketch CGs of ‘woman on top’ sex
-3-4 sketch CGs of ‘lesbian’ sex
-3-4 sketch CGs of ‘male on top’ sex
and possibly draw one more outfit for the character viewer.
No promises on all of these but that’s my goal.
I think that’s it for the time being 😀
If you think of any questions you want to ask or need to know, please get in contact with me via the following:
Happy hunting future adventurers!